Action Health Incorporated
AHI is a non-profit, non-governmental organisation dedicated to improving the health of Nigerian adolescents. Since 1989, AHI has worked with youths, community leaders, policy makers, parents, state and federal government officials to design and implement innovative and participatory projects in education, healthcare and youth development, providing models that have been adopted and expanded by government and other civil society organisations.
To achieve our objectives, we use a multidimensional approach that targets the different points at which adolescent health can be effectively addressed. This includes:
- Advocating for action on adolescents’ needs and access to care with policy makers, parents and community leaders.
- Increasing access to comprehensive sexuality education, peer education and counselling, to enable adolescents make healthy and responsible decisions about their sexuality.
- Promoting access to resource materials, including adolescent health journals, books, on-line databases and video films.
- Providing reproductive healthcare services specifically designed for adolescents, as well as referrals to adolescent-friendly institutions for further care.
- Creating opportunities for the empowerment of adolescents through the acquisition of vocational skills that include public-speaking, computer operations and film production training.
- Improving the capacity of other youth-serving organisations in adolescent health programming through trainings and provision of necessary technical assistance.
- Collaborating /networking with identified agencies to share resources and promote our issues.